cp weird behaviour, some copied files differ from original.

Paolo Dina paolo at php3.it
Wed May 19 08:07:45 UTC 2004

Hi.
I know that for the problem that will follow many things other than ext3
are involved, like a kernel upgrade, a possible coreutils mis-behaviour
and other, so I beg your pardon if I'm not in the right place ...

Now the problem. I have met a trouble upgrading web/dns server running
linux.
Precisely, I have upgraded the kernel from 2.4.9 to 2.6.6 and the hard
disk also, from 20Gb to 80Gb.
Ok for the kernel, all is ok.

Problems came out with hard disk upgrade. I followed the "Hard Disk
Upgrade Mini How-To" (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/).
After the copy of files from the old disk (ext3) to the new one (ext3
also, but with larger partitions) some problems arose.
In fact the command to compare the two disks after the copy, find /
-path /proc -prune -o -path /new-disk -prune -o -xtype f -exec cmp {}
/new-disk{} \;
tells that there are some differences in some files.

Looking with vi I saw that it's true indeed.. Some characters are
different! Example, in a log file, there is a line where a '1' become a
'y' in the word 'May', and so on.
Manually replacing the "corrupted" file with the original one and
running again the find command I have that other files differ. And
running again, all seems to be ok..
The behaviour is quite umpredictable :\

I have copied some hundreds of thousand of files, and just a little
percentage seems to be "damaged", but I need to know the cause of this fact.

Can you help in some way?

Thaks for any reply,
Paolo

P.S. I ran memtest and hard disk diagnostic, hardware results to be ok.