HD Partition Lost??

Toby Bluhm tkb9 at adelphia.net
Fri May 21 02:51:49 UTC 2004

evilninja wrote:

> Steve Watford schrieb:
> | Thanks,
> | I'll give dd a try for backup puposes. I have already tried to fsck
> | the
> | partition it just comes back with a short read error.  Asking if it is
> | a zero
>
> always be careful to check an already damaged disk:
>
> | Steve Watford schrieb:
> | | hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> | | hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=90895772,
>
> being not a professional but a normal user i think this really looks
> like some hw issues. so i'd suggest better to copy (dd) all the data
> from the disk, as long as you have time to. every additional use of the
> disk may cause its final death.
>
> i wonder why your other partitions *seem* to still be ok (e.g. "mount"
> and using its data then succeeds)...

Ack! I've had too many failures with Maxtor disks.

Anyway, use conv=sync,noerror with your dd command, preferably to an
identical disk. Do the entire disk /dev/hda. Yes, it will take a very
long time, but you have no other recourse if you want maintain all your
data. Then fsck the new disk. Fsck on the bad disk may just make matters
worse.

Download Maxtor's ide utility & see if you can fix the bad one - may
require a total disk rewrite.

Nothing unusual about  the other partitions being okay - just a matter
of location of the sectors on the platter(s). Be suspicious of the
entire disk though.

--
Toby Bluhm