HD Partition Lost??

Steve Watford stevew at aui.com
Fri May 21 22:36:54 UTC 2004

Yes, I downloaded the Maxtor diagnostic program and installed to a diskette.
It reports that the drive is failing and to back up right away returning a
diagnostic code for an RMA.  Oh well, guess it really is hardware.  I will be
dd'ing it over to another drive and sending this one back.  Then I'll work on
it from there.

What would be the exact syntax for the dd command for the entire disk as you
suggested?  I will be installing a parallel drive in the morning, also a
160GB drive as /dev/hdc with the bad one being /dev/hda.  The bad drive is
nowhere near full, but is the max file size a problem still?  I shouldn't do
just partitions instead?  Although the one with the actual problem is a 100GB
partition, although only about 20% full. Around 22 Gig all together on the
drive.

Thanks for the help,
Steve