External journal on flash drive

Mika Liljeberg mika.liljeberg at welho.com
Tue Sep 14 16:24:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 13:40, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> I'd rather go with data=ordered; flash isn't the fastest of media, and
> you have much more journal traffic with data=journal.

Well, I plan to have several flash drives in a RAID0 configuration and
use as large a journal as I can get away with. :)

> > . If I understand correctly, that should allow for maximal
> > spin down times and still maintain full data integrity after a crash.
> > For ext3 filesystems, anyway. :-|
>
> data=ordered (the default) already preserves full data integrity after a
> crash.  It's only data=writeback which relaxes the integrity guarantees.

However, as I'm shooting for spin down times of hours rather than
minutes I would risk losing several hours of work and recent email if
the machine crashed. I guess I'll just give it a go and see how it
works.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

	MikaL