status of dir_index in 2.4 kernels ?

Adam Cassar adam.cassar at netregistry.com.au
Thu Sep 23 00:45:09 UTC 2004

We have a similar set up but the maildirs are exported via NFS.

Performance was actually worse. There is a userspace preload lib that
supposedly fixes the problem but by that time I didn't bother
continuing.

Search the archives for the thread.

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 01:13, Jakob Curdes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I stumbled on the dir_index option of recent ext2 implementation which
> would be interesting for our mailservers (running dovecot with maildir)
> and found out that the newer ext2progs are able to cope with it; the 2.6
> kernels do also but for the 2.4 kernels I still require a patch. Is that
> correct? Which patch would be the correct one to apply to the current
> 2.4.27 kernel ? Can anybody comment on the stability of
> dir_index-enabled filesystems ?
>
> Thank you for hints,
>
> Jakob Curdes

Adam Cassar
IT Manager
NetRegistry Pty Ltd
http://www.netregistry.com.au
Tel:  02 9699 6099          Fax:  02 9699 6088
PO Box 270    Broadway      NSW   2007

Domains |Business Email|Web Hosting|E-Commerce
Trusted  by  10,000s of  businesses since 1997