converting a floppy disk layout to partition layout

Tom Cooper tcooper at starpower.net
Mon Apr 11 16:02:20 UTC 2005

Norbert Preining said:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> Theoretically?   Yes.
> Ok. This is what I wanted to know. I thought exactely the same about how
> I have to proceed (I even have started to write down all the necessary
> information), but then, I couldn't find a tool for moving a file system
> to the back with changing the start cylindern. And no, I wont write one
> ;-)
>
> Thanks a lot for the hints, I will now try to borrow a disk!

You might also consider booting from a recovery utility in order to move
the data to a new drive.
http://www.sysresccd.org/download.en.php
provides a useful CD ISO that can be used to boot a broken system,
you can mount external  file systems (NFS or SMB)
make an image of the data on the filesystem (dd or partimage)
has a graphical partition utility (qt_parted) and then
you can pull the data back from the remote filesystem onto your original
drive.

This is a technique I've used for a number of things (specifically
replacing a boot drive with a larger new disk, but it could do a great
deal of what you're asking as well.)

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Tom