e2fsck running for hours, printing out lists of numbers -- should I stop it?

Allen Ziegenfus ext3 at allenz.net
Fri Apr 8 03:51:23 UTC 2005

On the fine day of Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:32:02 +0100
"Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct at redhat.com> said very eloquently:

> Anything else in the logs?  You just hit a BUG(), and a bug or assert
> failure message should have been emitted just prior to this.

Aha. Upon further inspection I have found the following entries. The
first is repeated many times. Then at the end is the assertion failure
that you rightly postulated.

EXT3-fs error (device ide3(34,65)): ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks not
in datazone - block = 1025612531, count = 1

Assertion failure in journal_forget() at transaction.c:1217:
"!jh->b_committed_data"

I am also happy to report that e2fsck has progressed from its number
counting stage and moved on to telling me which files have duplicate
blocks and fixing these. I'm still curious if I'll be left with anything
usable.

> Also, with a kernel that old, data corruption problems could be due to
> something as basic as the old IDE driver not dealing properly with new
> hardware in your system.

Good point. The signs have been pointing me toward upgrading this box
for a while now. I thought I would wait till they released sarge, but as
soon as this e2fsck process is done, maybe I'll move to Fedora Core or
something like that.

P.S. Please forgive me if I've violated your list email ettiquette. I
know some people don't want to be responded to off list, but others
do.

Thanks for your help,

Allen