short read while checking ext3 journal

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 10:15:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 21:07, Tom Cooper wrote:

> [root at marvin root]# fsck /dev/hdb1
> fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> fsck.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
> while checking ext3 journal for /backup

Are you getting any kernel IO errors logged during that part of the
fsck?

> I thought removing the journal might help.  I doubt that the files that
> interest me were open at the time.
>
> [root at marvin root]# tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdb1
> tune2fs 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
> The needs_recovery flag is set.  Please run e2fsck before clearing
> the has_journal flag.

> Any ideas?

Yes, you can get around that.  "man tune2fs":

       -f     Force  the  tune2fs  operation  to  complete even in the face of
              errors.  This option is useful  when  removing  the  has_journal
              filesystem feature from a filesystem which has an external jour-
              nal (or is corrupted such that it appears to  have  an  external
              journal), but that external journal is not available.

              WARNING:  Removing  an  external journal from a filesystem which
              was not cleanly unmounted without first replaying  the  external
              journal  can  result  in severe data loss and filesystem corrup-
              tion.

Cheers,
 Stephen