FSCK of corrupted ext3 filesystem

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Thu Aug 25 16:16:38 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:29:39PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 13:32, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>
> > My fsck is on an Opteron, it's entirely CPU-bound, occupying about 1.4G of
> > my 2G RAM, stuck in pass 2 six days in. My strace isn't picking up any
> > calls.
> >
> > My question is basically the same as Darryl's. How long do I give it?

What sort of messages was e2fsck printing beforehand?

> Which version of e2fsprogs?  There were some serious algorithmic
> inefficiencies in some really old versions that could explain this sort
> of thing.

"Very old" here means version _before_ e2fsprogs 1.28 (released August
31, 2002).  So if you are using a distribution which is more than
three years old (in an industry where two years == infinity :-),
that's almost certainly the explanation.

						- Ted