FSCK of corrupted ext3 filesystem

Darryl Bond dbond at nrggos.com.au
Thu Aug 25 21:10:36 UTC 2005

Hi,
I stopped my 1.3TB ext3 fsck after 2 weeks, mounted ro and copied what I
could.
Fedora Core2 e2fsprogs-1.35-7.1

I have been using JFS since and have had several corruptions of the JFS
due to strange SAN faults (Emulex HBA and Apple XServe RAID).
I have been able to recover the JFS in a couple of minutes. I'm still
trying to get to the bottom of the SAN faults.

Darryl

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:29:39PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 13:32, Matt Bernstein wrote:
>>

>>>My fsck is on an Opteron, it's entirely CPU-bound, occupying about 1.4G of
>>>my 2G RAM, stuck in pass 2 six days in. My strace isn't picking up any
>>>calls.
>>>
>>>My question is basically the same as Darryl's. How long do I give it?
>>>

>What sort of messages was e2fsck printing beforehand?
>

>>Which version of e2fsprogs?  There were some serious algorithmic
>>inefficiencies in some really old versions that could explain this sort
>>of thing.
>>

>"Very old" here means version _before_ e2fsprogs 1.28 (released August
>31, 2002).  So if you are using a distribution which is more than
>three years old (in an industry where two years == infinity :-),
>that's almost certainly the explanation.
>
>						- Ted

                                DISCLAIMER

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only
for the addressee and may contain legally privileged, personal, sensitive or
confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, and have
received this email, any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or
photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly
prohibited. Any legal privilege or confidentiality attached to this message and
attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of delivery to any
person other than intended addressee. If you have received this message and
are not the intended addressee you should notify the sender by return email and
destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.  Unless expressly
attributed, the views expressed in this email do not necessarily represent the
views of the company.