Ext3 Journal corruption on hitachi deskstars

greg.martin at ddos.com greg.martin at ddos.com
Tue Feb 8 20:38:52 UTC 2005

I recently came across an enormous cluster of x86 clone machines running
fedora core 1 (2.4.24) which have typically all intel or amd have VIA IDE
chipsets.

They frequently experience corrupted journals rendering the ext3 partition
in read-only mode.  More important than recovering the filesystem, I am
interested in finding the root of the problem.

The common hardware that all of these machines share is a Hitachi deskstar
drive (New IBM drive)...

Searching through the mailing list and google I have seen references to
problems with this particular drive but for the life of me and (the broken
redhat search tool) I cannot pin down specific information on the cause of
these failures.

A bug within the IDE bus driver and the harddrive, seems most sensible.
Please help me find the right place to look.

Thanks in advance,

 -Greg

 --
Greg Martin