ef2sck loops forever with re-allocation

Frederik ext3 at solarwar.org
Sun Jan 23 21:10:58 UTC 2005

I hope someone is able to tell me wheter it is possible to rescue any
data from my lvm disk.

After adding a second disk, resizing, etc I made the super block sparse.
Then problems surfaced. I tried both ef2sck v1.34 and v1.35 but they
have the same result:

Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
Inode table for group 1519 is not in group.  (block 7503623)
WARNING: SEVERE DATA LOSS POSSIBLE.
Relocate? yes

/dev/mapper/lvm_vg0-lv0 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
Relocating group 1519's inode table to 7503623...
Restarting e2fsck from the beginning...
Group descriptors look bad... trying backup blocks...
Inode table for group 1519 is not in group.  (block 7503623)
WARNING: SEVERE DATA LOSS POSSIBLE.
Relocate? yes

/dev/mapper/lvm_vg0-lv0 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.

My last attempt was adding a loopback device in the lvm to create more
space on the lvm device, but that didn't help. Any ideas on what to do
next?

Details of the two disks in lvm:
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hde1
  VG Name               lvm_vg0
  PV Size               189.91 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              48618
  Free PE               0
  Allocated PE          48618

  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/hdb1
  VG Name               lvm_vg0
  PV Size               189.91 GB / not usable 0
  Allocatable           yes (but full)
  PE Size (KByte)       4096
  Total PE              48618
  Free PE               0