bad inode number followed by ext3_abort and remount readonly

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Tue Jun 14 23:19:23 UTC 2005

On Jun 14, 2005  17:14 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> Jun 13 13:58:16 n202 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sda5): ext3_get_inode_block: bad inode number: 9
>
> This particular example is a SATA disk, but it has happened to a
> regular old IDE disk as well.  It is always the root partition.  The
> bad inode number varies (but is always either 3 or 9).  There are no
> other errors about the disk in the log.

The "bad inode number" check is only for inodes inside the "reserved inode"
area, namely inum < 12.  The only commonly used (=valid) inode numbers in
this range are the root inode (=2) and the journal inode (=8), so I suspect
you are getting single-bit memory errors in bit 1, or if the controller
is the same that would also be viewed with suspicion.  It is very likely
that you are getting other single-bit errors elsewhere but they are harder
to notice.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger