passwd : Module is unknown (Redhat 9 Enterprise Edition)

Damian Menscher menscher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 2 05:02:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 kapil.sampath at wipro.com wrote:

> I use Redhat 9 Enterprise edition. I have a session in which I logged in
> as a root. When I issue the command "su" from any other user it is
> throwing error "su : Incorrect password", If I try to change the
> password from the root session, it is throwing error "passwd : module
> unknown".

First of all, there is no such thing as Redhat 9 Enterprise -- it looks
like you're running RHEL3, unpatched.  Secondly, your question has
nothing to do with ext3, so you will likely get a more helpful response
elsewhere.  But if I had to guess, I'd say your /etc/pam.d/system-auth
is corrupted.  You might try reinstalling your pam rpm.

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-