mke2fs options for very large filesystems

Markus Peuhkuri puhuri at iki.fi
Fri Mar 4 06:37:17 UTC 2005

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

>sizes on the filesystem, but on average this tends to happen when the
>utilization rises to 90-95%.

Is there any studies how a count of files relate to fragmentation?  I
have an situation that I store fairly large files (about 500 MB) to 200
GiB  paritition (seems to have now 700 files).  There are only one or
two active writers at each time and then I run once a hour cleanup
script that deletes oldest files until there is at least 90% free --
thus peak utilisation is something like 91-92%.  Each file has lifetime
of few days.

So far, there has not been any performance problems but as
system will be running for years, is there a possibility that  the file
system will be fragmented at later time.  Can one check fragmentation
without unmounting fs (as it is not possible to bring system down for
any long period of time)?