ext3 filesystem corrupt. Which files are affected?

Benjamin Adler benadler at gmx.net
Mon Mar 14 16:49:43 UTC 2005

Hi!

I am using a 377GB ext3-filesystem with evms, spanned over two disks. This
filesystem has worked for more than two years without any problems, it
stores around 30.000 images with sizes between 50kb and 200mb.

Recently, I noticed that images started to disappear. A fsck.ext3 (which
I've unfortunately never run before) revealed a lot of problems, which I
repaired. A log is attached.

Ext3 is journaled, so this shouldn't have happened, right? Is it normal that
this happens every couple of years? Maybe a hardware problem?

After fsck, can I now trust that the filesystem really is in a consistent
state? Does fsck find ALL possible errors?

I do have backups. But since I've been adding and editing and renaming files
all the time and some other files were silently corrupted and vanished, I do
not know which files are missing now. I cannot just restore an old backup,
since I might overwrite edited files etc. So, I have to know WHICH IMAGES
were affected by this corruption.

Is it possible to see which images were affected by looking at the
fsck-output? If yes, please tell me how to do this! AIX seems to have a
command named "ncheck" that can output the filename for a given
inode-number. Does this exist for ext? Are the numbers in my fsck-log
inode-numbers?

Thanks for your help!
Ben Adler