Intermittent ext3 corruption on external firewire Micronet 1.5Tb RAID on FC3

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Tue May 17 06:04:44 UTC 2005

On May 15, 2005  09:56 -0400, David Clunie wrote:
> I have a Firewire connected Micronet 1.5TB RAID with a single
> large ext3 filesystem on one partition on a dual Xeon system.

For some kernels (maybe even current ones) it is possible that
there is a problem with IO beyond 1 TB.

What I would do (if you don't mind overwriting the disk, presumably
not if it is just new and doesn't contain important data) is to
write a small test program to write the byte offset at the start of
every 4kB block on the disk, then read them all back and verify it
is correct.

This will tell you if there is aliasing in the block device (possibly
e.g. an int used instead of __u32 or sector_t).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer