filesystem remounted as read only

Kent Tong kent at cpttm.org.mo
Thu Nov 3 01:35:04 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm running kernel 2.6.8-15, lvm2 v2.01.04-5 and acl v2.2.23-1 on a
Sunblade 100 (sparc). In a few months we have experienced for several
times that an ext3 filesystem is remounted as read-only (this is due
to the option "errors=remount-ro" in /etc/fstab). Sometimes there is
no error in log files but sometimes we see:

kernel: init_special_inode: bogus i_mode (3016)
kernel: init_special_inode: bogus i_mode (3125)
kernel: init_special_inode: bogus i_mode (3144)
kernel: init_special_inode: bogus i_mode (3231)
kernel: init_special_inode: bogus i_mode (3423)
kernel: init_special_inode: bogus i_mode (3452)

In the former case (no error in the logs), then running fsck will find
no error. In the latter case, it may find some errors and fix them.

I've run smartmontools to check the disks but no errors are found.

I've run "fsck -c" to look up bad blocks but nothing is found.

What else can I do to troubleshoot the problem? In particular, the
most strange is if it is remounting as read-only, why there is no
error in the logs? Could remounting as read-only prevent it from
writing to the logs?

Thanks!