Can copying a file damage the original?

Felix E. Klee fk at linuxburg.de
Mon Apr 3 09:40:36 UTC 2006

Consider the following scenario:

* A database is accessing a large file $a on an Ext3FS, writing to it, reading
  from it.

* While testing a backup script, the file $a is copied with rsync without
  prior shutdown of the database software.

Here's what just happened under this scenario:

  $a got damaged.

I'm certain that this is just a conincidence.  However, my employer recalls
hearing other people stating that copying around files while copying them may
damage the original.  I doubt that these other people have a clue, but
perhaps it's me who doesn't have a clue: Are there any circumstances under
which a source file in a copy operation can be damaged?

--
Dipl.-Phys. Felix E. Klee
Email: fk at linuxburg.de (work), felix.klee at inka.de (home)