EXT2-fs warning (device hda6): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 21 18:39:30 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 12:05 +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I often get the message:
>
> EXT2-fs warning (device hda6): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2
>
> I have googled for a reason and a way to solve this -
> but not found something I could use. Maybe somebody here konws
> what to do?

This can happen for several reasons:-

1) Make sure you specify ext3 in /etc/fstab, e.g.
/dev/hda6          /boot       ext3    defaults        1 2

2) 'ext3' may not be compiled into your kernel (or the module may be
missing). What kernel are you using and did you compile it yourself?

3) You may be hard coding ext2 in some mount command. Make sure that the
filesystem is unspecified or set it to ext3, e.g.
$ mount -t ext3 /dev/hda6 /mnt/tmp

	Jon