FC5: "ext_attr" and "large_file" features for ext3 file systems ???

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Tue Apr 4 07:01:21 UTC 2006

On Apr 03, 2006  19:03 -0700, Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
>  Do I have to run "e2fsck -y -D" on a file system to
> active "dir_index" feature?

You do not HAVE to run this, as new directories and existing directories
that grow larger than one block (normally 4kB) will start to use the
directory indexing feature.  However, to use dir indexing on existing
large directories you do need to use "e2fsck -f -D".  This will also
"pack" large directories that have had most of the files deleted out,
AFAIR.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger