Filesystem too large...

Brandon Evans maillists at hosttuls.com
Tue Apr 4 22:44:13 UTC 2006

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 00:56 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> On Apr 03, 2006  17:16 -0700, Brandon Evans wrote:
>>> I need to setup a 3.27TB ext3 filesystem using -i 1024 and -b 1024.
>>>
>>> When I try to format this partition I get the "Filesystem too large."
>>> error.  Are there any plans to update these limits?  are there any
>>> patches already available that I can try out?  Or am I just SOL here?
>> The same patches that have been posted here (or maybe ext2-devel?)
>> to increase the fs size to 16TB are applicable in your case.
>
> Yes; just note that with a 1k blocksize, 2^32 blocks will only get you
> as far as 4TB, not 16TB.  But yes, it should work.
>
> However, 1k blocksize is usually a bad idea unless you really need the
> very very best space efficiency on the filesystem: it usually performs
> worse than 4k blocksize, and it imposes other limits such as a maximum
> file size of a bit over 16GB.  With 4k blocksize, a 3.27TB filesystem
> should just work.

I should mention I have tried this on 2.6.14 and 2.6.8.  From what I
have found, it seems thees kernels should already have the 16TB file
system support.  Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.  Any help
finding this patch would be appreciated

--

   Brandon Evans

"I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five
hours."
-Hunter S. Thompson