EXT3-fs unexpected failure msg ?

Damian Menscher menscher at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 18 00:02:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> You really, really, really need to mount your filesystem with
> "-o errors=remount-ro", at least to prevent filesystem corruption.
> I'm not sure if this is enough to prevent corruption in the case
> of your RAID disconnects (if it doesn't generate errors up to the
> filesystem, but still discards writes), but it is at least a minimum
> requirement.

Since this was so strongly-worded, I just did a random spot-check of
some of our filesystems (RHEL4) and discovered they all have:

    Errors behavior:          Continue

in the superblock (and mount apparently takes that option).  This makes
me curious: if it's so obvious that it should remount-ro on errors, why
is the default (on RHEL4, at least) to continue?

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| <menscher at uiuc.edu> www.uiuc.edu/~menscher/ Ofc:(650)253-2757 |#=-
-=#| The above opinions are not necessarily those of my employers. |#=-