EXT2-fs warning (device hda6): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2

Keld Jørn Simonsen keld at dkuug.dk
Fri Apr 21 20:05:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 07:39:30PM +0100, Jon Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 12:05 +0200, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > I often get the message:
> >
> > EXT2-fs warning (device hda6): ext2_fill_super: mounting ext3 filesystem as ext2
> >
> > I have googled for a reason and a way to solve this -
> > but not found something I could use. Maybe somebody here konws
> > what to do?
>
> This can happen for several reasons:-
>
> 1) Make sure you specify ext3 in /etc/fstab, e.g.
> /dev/hda6          /boot       ext3    defaults        1 2

It was there as ext3.

> 2) 'ext3' may not be compiled into your kernel (or the module may be
> missing). What kernel are you using and did you compile it yourself?

ext3 is in the kernel. I did compile it myself. it is 2.6.3 from The
Suurce.

> 3) You may be hard coding ext2 in some mount command. Make sure that the
> filesystem is unspecified or set it to ext3, e.g.
> $ mount -t ext3 /dev/hda6 /mnt/tmp

I have not hard coded it. Anyway, mount report it as mounted as ext3.
hda6 is my root fs for my default system on that machine. It
may be only doring boot it mounts it as ext2. Still strange, and
then what about the journal, if my system was stopped unreglementary?

best regards
keld