ext3 data=ordered - good enough for oracle?

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Sun Apr 23 21:46:30 UTC 2006

Johann Lombardi wrote:
>>Given that the default journaling mode of ext3 (i.e. ordered), does not
>>guarantee write ordering after a crash, is this journaling mode safe
>>enough to use for a database such as Oracle?  If so, how are out of sync
>>writes delt with?
>

> Oracle manages its own I/O cache in userspace and handles data coherency related
> to that. So data=journal is useless in this case.
> I guess databases such as Oracle uses O_SYNC to control the flushing of data
> or even O_DIRECT to bypass the kernel cache.
>
> Johann

Thanks for the reply, Johann, but given that Oracle is still using the
filesystem (unless you use raw devices or ASM), what good does caching
do in case of a hard crash?
The O_SYNC and O_DIRECT would help.  Is there any way to verify that
this is what Oracle actually does?

(Reason I'm asking is that I had a number of corruptions during the past
year, and I have better things to do at nights than restoring databases.)

Kind regards,

Herta