ext3 variables

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Sat Apr 29 22:41:08 UTC 2006

Hi Muhammad,

Not sure if I understand properly.  It looks like you're confused about
the difference in size between what fdisk and df report.
If that's the case: fdisk shows you the size of the disk partitions.
You create a filesystem on those partitions, and each filesystem has a
specific overhead (superblock, inode tables,...).  I.e. df shows you
what is actually available to the user of the filesystem.

Kind regards,

Herta