change sector size in EXT3

Christian evilninja at gmx.net
Wed Aug 9 20:18:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, paulvarjak at gmail.com wrote:
> The size of the partition is 1.5 Tb and the sector size is 32Mb. The

hm, AFAIK ext3 is only aware of the "block-size" which can be 1024,
2048 or 4096 bytes per block. I'm not sure what this "32 Mb (Megabyte?
Megabit?) sector size" might be...

> I would like to change the sector size to 2Mb or 1Mb but I don't know if
> it's possible to do it without loosing the data stored in the FS. I can do

If it's really the block-size you meant: no, it's not possible to change
that without reformatting. The best you could do is to make a fresh
backup, mkfs.ext3 with the right block-size, then play back the backups again.

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #299:

The data on your hard drive is out of balance.