Ext3 emergency recovery

Adam Atlas adam at atlas.st
Tue Aug 29 12:16:23 UTC 2006

I have a damaged Ext3 filesystem which fsck has not been able to
recover. If I try to mount it, I get a message like this in dmesg:

   EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already
cleared for block 2370866

If I try fsck on it, I get a series of messages like this:

   Inode bitmap for group 0 is not in group.  (block 0)
   Relocate<y>?

Up to group 95. Some say "SEVERE DATA LOSS POSSIBLE." I backed up the
filesystem and tried answering yes to all of them; it ended up just
erasing the whole thing. So I have a backup with the data intact but
with a broken filesystem. (Unfortunately I don't have a backup from
when this filesystem was working.) Is there anything I can do now to
repair the filesystem, or at least recover some data?