Partitioning for ext3fs

Christian evilninja at gmx.net
Wed Aug 30 22:50:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, david  cooke wrote:
> My problem is that this HDD has a full version of FC4,
> and if I have it switched on when connected by external USB when
> booting the new system, it will hang the process.

It will hang..."the process of backing up files"?
How so, any error messages, can you kill the process?

> New equipment is SATA with recent version of FC5; No problem when
> running by itself. I just haven't been able to read or see this
> external because I have to wait till FC5 boots; then it's to late.
> I have tried various timed events but still no worky.

I don't know if I understand you correctly: you've upgraded to FC5 and
the external (USB? SATA?) drive still "does not work"?

> Can I make an entry to /etc/fstab or some related config file as you
> would to mount a new floppy or CD?

Still not ext3-related, but "man fstab" should help:

/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  ro  0 0

...should be a good start.

> This is my first time at the ext3 forum and a new Linux user,
> so any help with commands or procedures to implement ext3,

I'm not sure about the problem you are describing. If something
(anything!) does not work the way you'd expect it to work: send error
messages, typescripts of the *exact* things you did and what *exactly*
did "not work".

> or whatever would be the best suited fs,

Ext3 ;-)

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #128:

Power Company having EMP problems with their reactor