fsync, ext3, raid (md) 1, write barriers and PATA caching

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Sat Dec 9 22:51:32 UTC 2006

On Sat, 9 Dec 2006, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> It also looks like barrier=1 is or will be the default for ext3. Is there
> a way I can check if this is the case on my system?

Hm, indeed: if write barriers are not available, mounting an XFS
filesystem shows:

> Filesystem "md0": Disabling barriers, not supported by the underlying device

Mounting the same device when formatted with ext3 does not show this
message nor does /proc/mounts reveal anything....could this be tweaked
somehow?

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #288:

Hard drive sleeping. Let it wake up on it's own...