Ext3 problems

Tarnai, Tibor tibor.tarnai at sap.com
Tue Feb 14 09:35:10 UTC 2006

Hi!

I was really stupid! I have defragmented my ext3 partition with e2defrag, altought i have done that many times in debian without problems on my new gentoo installation it had bad results. When i wanted to boot this partition i got serious e2fsck errors.
It has reported that (only) inode 8 has illegal blocks, so i have run e2fsck -fy /dev/hda2, which has cleared the illegal blocks in inode 8. After this was done i copied the whole partition with cp -pr to a different location and created a new ext3 filesystem on /dev/hda2.
Is it possible, that i got so much luck, that only the journalling inode was corrupted, and the rest of my system is intact? How can i make shure that the previous assumption is true?

Tibor Tarnai
Junior Developer
SAP Labs Hungary
1031 Budapest Záhony u. 7.