Questions about partitioning and ext3

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Mon Jan 2 00:11:37 UTC 2006

JEMF <jemf at gabcmt.eb.mil.br> writes:

> I have a 512 MB Kingston flash disk. When I try to create a partition
> with 460 MB (471.040 KB), the partition is created with 460.6 MB
> (471.665 KB).

>   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1               1         951      471665   83  Linux
>
> Why? Geometry?

Yup; when the flash device pretends to have geometry so that it doesn't
confuse software that still lives in DOS land, it caused that.

> 2nd Question:
>
> When I format the partition with ext3, the df -k command returns:

> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used  Available Use%  Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1               456730       8239    424908   2%    /mnt
>
> I think 8239 KB (8.05 MB) was used by journal. But the amount of  blocks
> decreased after formatted (471665 to 456730). Why?

The difference, of around 23,000 blocks, is five percent of the
available space on the filesystem.

The default reserved block count for root is five percent...

    Daniel