ext3 fs errors 3T fs

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Thu Jan 19 12:26:39 UTC 2006

On Jan 18, 2006  16:16 -0800, Dennis Williams wrote:
> I looked through the archives a bit and could not find anything relevant,
> if you know otherwise please point me in the right direction.
>
> I have a ~3T ext3 filesystem on linux software raid that had been behaving
> corectly for sometime.  Not to long ago it gave the following error after
> trying to mount it:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
>        or too many mounted file systems

This sounds like the superblock has been overwritten.  There are occasional
reports from > 2TB filesystem users of similar corruption.  It isn't clear
if the problem exists in ext3 or if it is in the block or SCSI layer.

> some more information on the system:
> os flavor: Suse 9.1
> kernel version: 2.6.5-7.202.7-default (various suse patches applied to
>    2.6.5 kernel)

RHEL4 (2.6.9) claims support for up to 8TB filesystems.  I don't know what
patches they made, if any, in order to have this working.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer