ext3 fs errors 3T fs

Dennis Williams evoltech at 2inches.com
Fri Jan 20 17:22:03 UTC 2006

> > The system has now been corecting errors for the past 12 hours.  I hope
> > when it finishes, it will mount without complaints.
>
> Never belive fsck here. It may check heavy corrupted filesystems serval DAYS.
> For me (corrupted 120 Gb ext3 partition) "fsck.ext3 -y" work 3 days before i
> interrupt it. In manual mode, avoid 'duplicate inode clone' and answer yes to
> 'delete file' - only 30 minutes.

Just out of morbid curiosity what does 'duplicate inode clone' mean?  And
how does the fs get in that state?

The fsck finished this morning with the following final statements:

/dev/md0: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

/dev/md0: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

/dev/md0: 1472505/403685856 files (10.3% non-contiguous),
673983041/805797888 blocks

1) Why would the fs still have errors?  Is it correct to assume that
running fsck again is the answer? (I hope so)

2) What does the last line of this message mean?

I did notice that the fs mounted correctly after this with the following
errors in /var/log/messages:

Jan 21 02:09:48 terrorbytes kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5
seconds
Jan 21 02:09:48 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device md0):
ext3_clear_journal_err: Filesystem error recorded from previous mount: IO
failure
Jan 21 02:09:48 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3-fs warning (device md0):
ext3_clear_journal_err: Marking fs in need of filesystem check.
Jan 21 02:09:48 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3-fs warning: mounting unchecked
fs, running e2fsck is recommended
Jan 21 02:09:48 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3 FS on md0, internal journal
Jan 21 02:09:48 terrorbytes kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with
ordered data mode.

after unmounting the filesystem, I ran a standard fsck again:
terrorbytes:~ # e2fsck /dev/md0
e2fsck 1.34 (25-Jul-2003)
/dev/md0 contains a file system with errors, check forced.

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my posts with thier
suggestions.

Sincerely,
Dennison Williams