data recovering in EXT3

Dmitry Bandurin bandurin at fnal.gov
Wed Jul 26 00:27:11 UTC 2006

Hello,

We have run and stopped by chance command "fsck -y" on one of our raid disks
(with ext3 file system). After that we have found that SOME files disappeared
(they are not seen in the directories where they have been before).
The data are extremely important and contain a lot of programs,
scripts for some data analysis and very hard to recover by hands.
I have run ''fsck -y" once more and it recovered just few files..
Is there any way, any tool that would allow to recover the data?
Probably there is some specific options for the recovery ralated with
journaling in ext3?

I have used debugfs, it produced following, if it helps:
debugfs:  open -f -w /dev/sdb1
debugfs:  features
Filesystem features: has_journal resize_inode filetype needs_recovery
sparse_super large_file

thanks,
Dmitry