create very large file system

Jonathan Briggs jbriggs at esoft.com
Thu Jul 20 16:22:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 13:17 +0200, Christian Iversen wrote:
> On Thursday 20 July 2006 08:26, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > >
> > > you might need to convert the partition table to GPT format for
> > > supporting 2TB+ partitions.  it can be done by the gnu parted tool.
> >
> > Or, for that matter, don't use a partition table at all, since this
> > adds an unhelpful offset to all the filesystem structures and can
> > hurt performance on RAID where the filesystem is trying to align IO
> > to RAID stripe boundaries.
>
> Can linux still auto-detect raid volumes if there's no partition table?

You're not supposed to be doing it that way these days.  RAID autodetect
is getting tossed out of the kernel in the future (probably still many
versions away though), and RAID, DM, LVM, and maybe even regular
partition setup is going to be done in initramfs / initrd.

At least, that is what I read.
--
Jonathan Briggs <jbriggs at esoft.com>
eSoft, Inc.