recover data from linear raid

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila at tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Tue Jun 27 13:49:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Neil Brown wrote:

> On Monday June 26, dzila at tassadar.physics.auth.gr wrote:
>>
>>  	This is what I get now, after creating with fdisk /dev/hdb1 and
>> /dev/hdc1 as linux raid autodetect partitions
>
> So I'm totally confused now.
>
> You said it was 'linear', but the boot log showed 'raid0'.

 	You aire absolutely right. Me bad

> The drives didn't have a partition table on them, yet it is clear from
> the old boot log that the did.  Are you sure they are the same drives,
> 'cause it doesn't seem like it.

 	That's the root of my problem...when I moved the disks to the new
system the disks showed up as unpartitioned.

> You could try hunting for ext3 superblocks on the device.  There might
> be an easier way but
>
>  od -x /dev/hdb | grep '^.....60 .... .... .... .... ef53 '
>
> should find them.  Once you have this information we might be able to
> make something work.  But I feel the chances are dwindling.

 	Me too. In any case the data was not that critical, so I will play
around a little more before I give up.

 	Thank you all for your help:)

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle University of Thessaloniki , Greece
PGP key : http://tassadar.physics.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
 	  http://egnatia.ee.auth.gr/~dzila/pgp_public_key.asc
MD5sum  : de2bd8f73d545f0e4caf3096894ad83f  pgp_public_key.asc