[RFC] mke2fs with DIR_INDEX, RESIZE_INODE by default

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Mon Mar 20 21:58:57 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 14:14 -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> > That was the last one I'm aware of; it has been robust other than that,
> > and the RHEL and Fedora installers have been doing tune2fs -O dir_index
> > to all filesystems by default since RHEL-4 / FC-2 (ie. for over 18
> > months,) so it's definitely well tested here.
>
> So, would you also be in favour of making these two options the default for
> the next e2fsprogs?

I think we're probably at the right point to do so.  Most people who are
most likely to be affected have a reasonably recent e2fsprogs now.  On
the Fedora side I'm seeing very few reports of people bitten by
e2fsprogs incompatibility, and more and more instances of people bitten
the other way by filesystems not performing as well as expected due to
missing dir_index flags.

--Stephen