Monitoring FS operations

Jon Burgess jburgess at uklinux.net
Tue May 23 19:42:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 13:48 -0400, Kevin Strong wrote:
> Jérôme Petazzoni wrote:
> >>Without going into the specific reasons why I need to do so, is anyone
> >>aware of a method (or tool) of watching real-time, human-readable (or
> >>system call print) of ext3 filesystem operations on a mounted, active
> >>filesystem?
> >

> > Look for the lm-profiler tool in the "laptop-mode" tools. It does
> > (almost) that :
> >
> > modprobe(18534): dirtied inode 457921 (irda-utils) on sda2
> > modprobe(18534): dirtied inode 457920 (bluez) on sda2
> > modprobe(18534): dirtied inode 49330 (display_class) on sda2
> >
> > That may or may not be what you want, however !
> >
> > regards
>
> Thanks.  That's a good start.  Not what I was after but I'll see what it
> gives me on my box.  I'm looking for something like "Filemon" from
> sysinternals.com (for Windows) - something that shows every operation
> sent to the FS driver.

systemtap http://sourceware.org/systemtap/ could be used to monitor and
report information from a selection of syscalls or ext3 specific APIs
inside the kernel.

Internally the kernel references the files by device+inode, not path
name. To find a path to this inode you could monitor open() calls, but
there may be multiple file paths which link to the same inode (e.g. hard
links). It seems filemon has to do something similar on Windows to
convert file handles back to file names,

- How It Works
  "When FileMon sees an open, create or close call, it updates an
internal hash table that serves as the mapping between internal file
handles and file path names. Whenever it sees calls that are handle
based, it looks up the handle in the hash table to obtain the full name
for display. If a handle-based access references a file opened before
FileMon started, FileMon will fail to find the mapping in its hash table
and will simply present the handle's value instead."

	Jon