How to create a huge file system - 3-4TB?

Raghu Ni raghuni at cossindia.org
Thu Nov 9 06:44:34 UTC 2006

 We have a server with about 6x750Gb SATA drives setup on a hardware RAID
controller. We created hardware RAID 5 on these 6x750GB HDDs. The effective
size after RAID 5 implementation is 3.4TB. This server we want to use it as
a data backup server.

Here is the problem we are stuck with, when we use fdisk -l, we can see the
drive specs and its size as 3.4TB. But when we want to create two different
partitions of 1.7TB each, then we get the error "out of range" while
specifying cylinders.

And if we go for one single partition of 3.4TB, mke2fs returns error when we
format the partition for ext3 file system and after some specific duration
it exits with a error "Inodes not found... " similar errors.

Any help / suggesstions / ideas to get around this problem are highly
appreciated.