How to create a huge file system - 3-4TB?

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Thu Nov 9 13:03:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 at 12:14pm, Raghu Ni wrote

> Here is the problem we are stuck with, when we use fdisk -l, we can see the
> drive specs and its size as 3.4TB. But when we want to create two different
> partitions of 1.7TB each, then we get the error "out of range" while
> specifying cylinders.
>
> And if we go for one single partition of 3.4TB, mke2fs returns error when we
> format the partition for ext3 file system and after some specific duration
> it exits with a error "Inodes not found... " similar errors.
>
> Any help / suggesstions / ideas to get around this problem are highly
> appreciated.

fdisk can't handle devices larger than 2TiB.  If you really want to use
partitions, use parted and create a gpt disklabel (the standard msdos
won't work either).  Note that you won't be able to boot from this disk.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering