Online filesystem check

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Tue Nov 21 21:31:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Oliver Hookins wrote:
> checks. I can't find any information on it by googling, is it implemented in
> current versions of the filesystem utilities?

No, current version of e2fsprogs do not support online fsck. The most
"online" you can get is trying to remount ro, then fsck the ro device.

> Either way, does anyone know where I can find more information on it?

I'm not aware that this was a planned feature of ext2/3 fs. I've heard
about the *BSD guys trying to get this done for UFS, but it's not
implemented there either, AFAIK.

Not being an fs guru, online fsck really sounds difficult and I'm not
sure if it's worth the battle....

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #72: