how to prevent filesystem check

Sebastian Reitenbach itlistuser at rapideye.de
Tue Nov 28 14:05:51 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I want to setup a RAID storage system, where i have two systems connected to
it. the filesystems are mapped out to both connectors. I want the master host
mount them read write, and the slave read only.

in my fstab on the slave I have a line like the following:
/dev/sdb1   /mount    ext3   acl,noauto,user_xattr,nosuid,ro    0 0

so in man 5 fstab, it is written, that when the 6. field is 0, no filesystem
check will be done at mount time.

and in man mount, I read that, the nocheck parameter is the default, that
means, that no filesystem checks should be performed when the partition is
mounted.

but when I mount the filesystem on the slave, I see the following messages
in /var/log/messages:
EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
(fs/jbd/recovery.c, 255): journal_recover: JBD: recovery, exit status 0,
recovered transactions 99610 to 100072
(fs/jbd/recovery.c, 257): journal_recover: JBD: Replayed 12498 and revoked
589/918 blocks
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: recovery complete.

since I test this, the master server had occassional problems with the
filesystem, so he decided to mount these read-only, and I had to fsck it.
I think the filesystem got destroyed because of the filesystem ckecks, while
mounting it readonly on the second server.

I googled around, and found a similar message from someone mounting a XFS file
system. So I am not sure, whether this is a mount or a ext3 problem.

my kernel is a 2.6.12.6-bigsmp, on a SuSE 10.1.

Is there any other way to prevent the slave server from doing any filesystem
checks?

kind regards
Sebastian