EXT3 and large directories

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Thu Oct 5 15:41:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Matt Dodson wrote:
> Is this a bug or by design? Would there be a better filesystem to use
> for my situation?

I think it's a design issue, I don't think 1M files was not common when
ext3 came out (1999). ReiserFS is said to be "fast with lots of small
files", but as always: evaluate the fs before putting applications on
it. FWIW, I've did a little test with ext3 and 0,1M/1M files on an
already existing fs (rootfs of an existing FC6 installation):

http://nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.18-mm3/

cheers,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #143:

had to use hammer to free stuck disk drive heads.