FS corruption? bogus i_mode

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Thu Oct 26 16:28:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Rajaraman Ramanarayanan wrote:
> I am actually exposing the processor to neutron
> radiation which makes it vulnerable. Otherwise the processor and the system
> works fine once it is take out of the radiation.

ROFL, this really is the best setup I've read about on ext3-users ;)

> But this one time when the
> FS was corrupted i had to re-install the full root file system as it had
> corrupted the bin directory itself. But i have backed up the data (using dd
> command) to find out what exactly happened.

So, if this would be reproducible, one could activate the in-kernel
debug flags or more specifically JBD_DEBUG or even try kdb[0] to see
what's going on. Oh, and when we can see corruption patterns while
the system is exposed to your special environment, I'd love to test the
patch introducing CONFIG_EXT3_NEUTRON ;)

Christian.

[0] ftp://oss.sgi.com/www/projects/kdb/download/latest/
--
BOFH excuse #113:

Root nameservers are out of sync