FW: e2defrag - Unable to allocate buffer for inode priorities

Magnus Månsson magnusm at massive.se
Fri Oct 13 14:44:04 UTC 2006

I have made some more research and found out the following ..

thor:~# df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
-[cut]-
/dev/mapper/vgraid-data
                     475987968  227652 475760316    1% /data

thor:~# strace e2defrag -r /dev/vgraid/data
-[cut]-
mmap2(NULL, 1903955968, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0)
= 0x46512000
 (delay 15 seconds while allocating memory)
mmap2(NULL, 475992064, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) =
 -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)
-[cut]-

The first allocation seems to be 4 bytes per available inode on my filesystem. I wish now that I created the FS with less inodes, and there is another question. What's the gain of having less available inodes? If I recreated my filesystem, would it be an idea to make one inode per hundred block or something since that still is way more than I need? Would I gain speed from it?