FS corruption? bogus i_mode

Christian Kujau lists at nerdbynature.de
Fri Oct 27 16:24:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Rajaraman Ramanarayanan wrote:
> I have seen this only once. So as of now it is not reporoducible, and i
> definitely cannot predict if and when it can occur. Also I am not familiar
> with activating debug flags, Is there any document that i can refer to for
> these..

I'm not a filesystem wizard and use debug flags only when things go
wrong and this question should be answered by the e2fs-crew, but for
starters: when configuring your kernel (make menuconfig?), enabling "JBD
(ext3) debugging support" (under "File systems") should make the ext3
fs-driver more verbose, especially when something goes wrong.

Then there are the numerous "kernel debugging" options (under "Kernel
hacking")..but I find it hard to propose a specific option here, because
we don't know which part of the kernel would generate certain errors
when exposed to the radiation. in general, these options make the
various code-paths more verbose.

but I doubt that apart from this (being more chatty whwn something goes wrong) will actually help to debug and
even coding workarounds for
hardware-going-crazy-under-certain-conditions. But then again, the
satellites in space have lots of chips inside too and are exposed
to radiation as well....hm, dunno how this is done.

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #253:

We've run out of licenses