debian unstable & ext3

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Wed Sep 6 05:45:43 UTC 2006

[Sorry, in Germany and so my e-mail latency is slow... ]

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 08:17:55PM +1000, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Thursday August 31, lm at bitmover.com wrote:
> > Some time ago things started getting weird in the following way: I do a
> > fairly normal hack, ^Z, make, test loop when developing and it seems
> > that vim is calling fsync or sync and that is then flushing everything
> > to disk.  My tests create maybe 10 dozen files in ~30MB and for some
> > reason this is taking 4 seconds to flush.
> >

> One thing worth a try is to mount with data=writeback.

Or data=ordered.  What does "cat /proc/mounts" say?

The fsync() operation results in a journal commit operation, and if
you're using "data=ordered" or "data=journaled", the data blocks will
be flushed to either their final location on disk or to the journal
before the journal is allowed to commit.

						- Ted