Retaining undelete data on ext3

Stephen Samuel samnospam at bcgreen.com
Sun Sep 24 17:48:23 UTC 2006

Having just spent a day trying to recover a deleted ext3 file
for a friend, I'm wondering about this way of maintining
undelete information in ext3, like is done for ext2:

The last step in the deletion process would be to put back
the (previously zeroed) block pointers.  Since it gets logged
to the journal, I _think_ that this should be safe.  The worst
that would happen is that, if the plug gets pulled in the
middle of a file delete, the old block pointers would be
unavailable --  I don't see this as a killer issue, since
editing the filesystem to do an undelete should be considered an
emergency operation anyways.

Stephen Samuel +1(778)861-7641             samnospam at bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/
   Powerful committed communication. Transformation touching
     the jewel within each person and bringing it to light.