Very slow ext3 fsck

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Mon Feb 26 16:55:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 04:12:21PM +0000, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Theodore Tso wrote:
>
> > What output do you see from e2fsck if you manually run it?
>
> Just the usual output:
>
> [root at xback1 ~]# fsck /dev/xbackup1/xback1_backup1
> fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> /dev/xbackup1/xback1_backup1 has gone 191 days without being checked, check
> forced.
> Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
> Pass 2: Checking directory structure
>
> And hangs indefinitely.

I would love to get my hands on that filesystem and be able to run
e2fsck under gdb to figure out what's going on.  This looks like
something entirely new.  Unfortunately this is so bug that e2image
will probably create a truly huge file that will take forever to
transfer.

Is there any possibility I can get remote access to the machine, or
perhaps if that's not possible you can run it under a debugger, maybe
under some kind of remote VNC connection so I can see what you're
seeing and a telephone call so we can work this problem together?

Regards,

						- Ted